A New and Exceptional High Fantasy // FURYBORN by Claire Legrand: Book and Audiobook




FURYBORN
by Claire Legrand
Series: The Empirium Trilogy (Book 1)
Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire (May 22, 2018)

Audiobook Publisher: Listening Library
Language: English

Goodreads | Amazon 
The stunningly original, must-read fantasy of 2018 follows two fiercely independent young women, centuries apart, who hold the power to save their world...or doom it.

When assassins ambush her best friend, Rielle Dardenne risks everything to save him, exposing herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens: a queen of light, and a queen of blood. To prove she is the Sun Queen, Rielle must endure seven elemental magic trials. If she fails, she will be executed...unless the trials kill her first.

One thousand years later, the legend of Queen Rielle is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora. A bounty hunter for the Undying Empire, Eliana believes herself untouchable―until her mother vanishes. To find her, Eliana joins a rebel captain and discovers that the evil at the empire's heart is more terrible than she ever imagined.

As Rielle and Eliana fight in a cosmic war that spans millennia, their stories intersect, and the shocking connections between them ultimately determine the fate of their world―and of each other.
This book, guys. This book. I am quite blown away.

Let me start by saying I would not classify this as YA, although I know that's a losing battle (just look where A Court of Thorns and Roses ended up)... But this book is complex, it takes it's time, and it has probably the most descriptive sex scene I've read in YA. This book won't be for everyone.

But it was definitely for me.

I will keep my review brief as there are so many good descriptive reviews out there that give more details, if that's what you're looking for. I just want to say that I loved so many things about the way this book was written. You can tell that Claire Legrand took a LOT of time planning this story. Those books are always my favorite because there are so many details and threads and twists. The fact that she starts the book off basically telling you how Rielle's story ends, yet somehow finds ways to keep you interested, and even surprised, is absolutely incredible. I love that we follow two fierce young women who think they know themselves, but end up surprising themselves by where their paths took them.

All the characters are incredibly well fleshed out, including one very devious villain. Corian is completely horrible, but also absolutely fascinating. I adore complicated bad guys. And the relationships are so convoluted. The fine line between love and hate, loyalty and betrayal is walked constantly with these characters. I loved it!!

Action, war, forbidden romance, TOTALLY forbidden romance, fierce females, magic, friendships, family, lies, temptation, and the journey two girls take to find out who they are and what they're capable of. FURYBORN delivers on all these things and more.

A note on the audiobook: I absolutely love the narrator of this audiobook. Her voice is so perfect for this story. However, I wish there had been two different readers for Rielle and Eliana. It was really hard to keep track of whose storyline I was in, especially at the beginning when I was just learning the characters. I was constantly trying to figure out who was who and having the same voice made it much more complicated. However, I'd still recommend it because I really did like the reader so much. Her voice was awesome, and the passion she brought to the story added so much to it. Thanks to Listening Library for sending a copy for review.



Comments

  1. Rohini Call Girl

    9650262602 Hi Friends My Name Is Nisha Call Girls Agency: India's NO 1. ✆9650262602 Best Call Girls services So if u want To fun Tonight then Call Us :- We are 24*7 Provide Independent call girls services in rohini.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)

Popular Posts