Skip to main content

UMBERLAND by Wendy Spinale // Even better than book one!

Review by Krista


UMBERLAND
by Wendy Spinale

Age Range: 12 - 17 years
Grade Level: 7 and up
Series: Everland (Book 2)
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press (May 9, 2017)

Goodreads | Amazon
What began with a reimagining of Peter Pan and Wendy now twists into a stunning version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass!

Gwen, Pete, and the others have escaped from Everland. But the safe haven they hoped to find at Alnwick Castle doesn't exist. With the Queen of England on her deathbed, Duchess Alyssa has stepped in to lead, but things have gotten worse as the cure Doc created for the Horologia virus has mutated, accelerating the disease. The only possible solution he can think of is to go back to the virus's origin: an extinct poisonous apple.
Legend has it a tree bearing the apple might be found at the center of a deadly labyrinth hidden deep within Germany. A place that no one in their right mind enters. Leaving Pete in charge of the survivors, Alyssa sets out with only her sword, her wits, and the help of Maddox Hadder, a wild boy who oversees the castle gardens. To get to the center of the maze, she'll be forced to battle monsters more terrifying than her darkest nightmares.
But can anyone truly survive the madness of the maze? And what if there's no apple to be found there?
The first book in the series (Everland) is a re-imagining of Peter Pan and it is a dark tale of the land being bomb with poisoned gas and a group of lost boys that gather to help each other, fight against Hook and hopefully find a cure. The story is told from Gwen's perspective, a girl believed to be immune and she may lead to the cure.

Umberland takes a shift on how the story continues, I found the changes to not only be unexpected but I found myself enjoying it more than the first book. It's told from several perspectives beginning just months after the first book ends. Peter, Jack and Duchess Alyssa are all on their own quests. Elisa and Jack are off to find the cure and Peter stays behind to help against the expected attach from the evil Princess Cat. This book can be read without having read the first book as it will fill you in on what previously happened.

The first half of the story takes place in the Castle as they discover new things about the virus and plot to find it's beginnings to lead them to the cure. The second half is the dangerous trek into the Labyrinth and Dark Forest. The Princess fights along side the mad Maddox fighting through poisoned gassy air, attacking eels and others that lurk within the forest to find the center, the place that hold the cure. While Hook and Jack are on the same mission, in a race to see who gets there first, and return in time to save their people. Hook and Jack fight for their mother the evil Blood Red Queen while Alyssa and Maddox fight for the countrymen, the sick and dying left back home.

Through the multiple perspectives and the thrilling settings this book is a constant movement of fast paced events with several surprises and twists. I enjoyed not knowing where the story was going to take me and the dark, grim tale of good vs evil.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Clean Spotlight: The Caster Chronicles PLUS The Caster Contest

This month's featured spotlight will be...                                         The reason I chose The Caster Chronicles for this month's featured spotlight is because not only are these "Reading Clean" but also an amazing series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.                                                                                   You can read my reviews here:  Beautiful Creatures  and Beautiful Darkness Go also to Parental Book Reviews for content reviews:   Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness I will be posting something dedicated to The Caster Chronicles every Thursday until the release day o...

Second Hand Saturday! A Book-A-Week Giveaway 2

Welcome to   Second Hand Saturday !! In an attempt to clear our bookshelves, and pass on great used books to our stalkers followers, Amy, Kit, Abigaile, Austin and I have decided to hold weekly giveaways of some of the books on our bookshelves! Every Saturday, we will post the books available, and the following Saturday, we will announce the winner and our next challenge. The winner will get to choose a book from the list and we will ship it to that lucky person! Each week we will have a different challenge to complete (see below). YOU MUST BE A FOLLOWER TO ENTER! If you are a blogger, and would like to do your own Second Hand Saturday, shoot us an email and we'll link up!  (ReadingTeen1 at gmail.com) To see the book on Amazon, click the book name. To see our review (if we've done one) click on PBR for the Parental Book Reviews content review, or RT for the Reading Teen blog review. Good luck!! Middle Grade Middle School Confidential Books 1-3 by Annie Fox ( PB...

Finally, My Thoughts on Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Audio  So, I was going through my old posts, looking for something to post today, and came across this.  I guess I never posted it, because I was just so angry and disappointed.  Plus, I think I had talked so much about it, that I was sick of talking about it.  And also, I feel like there were so many things that bothered me that I couldn't get it all down.  But, I thought it might be fun to post this, and see if anyone is interested in it.  So, here are my bitter and resentful thoughts on Mockingjay! :P 8-30-2010 *spoilers galore* After reading Mockingjay all day on Tuesday, I left Wednesday morning to go on vacation for my anniversary.  All I could think about was Mockingjay.  You might think that's a good sign, like it was so well done that I couldn't forget about it.  But, for me, it wasn't.  I was so disappointed in this book.  Honestly, if I hadn't loved the first two books so much, I pr...