Skip to main content

Quick-Fire Review: ZERO DAY by Jan Gangsei \\ Mystery-Thriller!

by Andye

ZERO DAY
by Jan Gangsei
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion (January 12, 2016)
Language: English
Goodreads | Amazon

Eight years ago, Addie Webster was the victim of the most notorious kidnapping of the decade. Addie vanished-and her high-profile parents were forced to move on.

Mark Webster is now president of the United States, fighting to keep the oval office after a tumultuous first term. Then the unthinkable happens: the president's daughter resurfaces. Addie is brought back into her family's fold, but who is this sixteen-year-old girl with a quiet, burning intelligence now living in the White House? There are those in the president's political circle who find her timely return suspicious.

When a national security advisor approaches Darrow Fergusson, Addie's childhood best friend and the son of the president's chief of staff, he doesn't know what to think. How could the girl he's missed for all these years be a threat to national security? Still, at the risk of having his own secrets exposed, Darrow agrees to spy on Addie.

He soon realizes that his old friend is much more than the traumatized victim of a sick political fringe group. Addie has come home with a mission...but will she choose to complete it?
At a Glance:

ZERO DAY was an exciting, political mystery/thriller that had me guessing from beginning to end.  Though there were times you have to suspend disbelief, the overall fast-pace and mystery make up for lack of plausibility. If you're looking for a fast, fun, and twisty read, I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Cover:

I love the cover! I think it may have a more serious tone than the book actually does, but I love that it gives off the political vibe.

Action:

There's quite a bit of action! Kidnapping, terrorist plots, Secret Service evasions, cyber-hacking and murder abound.

Romance:

The romance isn't front and center, but it is there. It's full of tension and distrust.

Heroine:

Is Addie a heroine? Or is she a villain? Just one of the many questions.

Hero:

How can there be a hero when you can't trust anyone?

Favorite Supporting Character:

I really liked Addie's Secret Service guard, though her name is escaping me. She was pretty funny, though she probably should keep a better eye on her charge...

Something I loved:

I loved how nothing was black-and-white, and how I never quite knew what was going to happen. I also REALLY enjoyed the way Jan took us around D.C. and NOVA. I live in the area and it was so fun to read about characters going to a lot of my favorite spots! (SHAKE SHACK!)

Something(s) I hated:

I really didn't understand why some choices were made at the end, after revelations were made, but I can't really say anything without spoiling.

Cliffhanger? 

The story could be wrapped up, or it could continue. There's definitely some loose ends that aren't all tied in a bow at the end.

Would I recommend it?

Yes! I'd say this is a good in-between book, for those who need a break between "emotionally exhausting" reads, or for those who just like fun mysteries.

Will I buy/keep it/read the sequel:

I'm definitely keeping this one on my shelf, after my daughter finished reading it.

Book Doppelgangers:

PRETENDING TO BE ERICA by Michelle Penchaud, DAUGHTER OF DEEP SILENCE by Carrie Ryan, HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter

Content:
  • Language: Moderate (10+ S, 2 F)
  • Sexuality: Mild kissing
  • Violence: Moderate (murder, terrorist plots, suicide attempt - nothing graphic)
  • Other notables: Some underage drinking and drug use mentioned. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Clean Spotlight: The Caster Chronicles PLUS The Caster Contest

This month's featured spotlight will be...                                         The reason I chose The Caster Chronicles for this month's featured spotlight is because not only are these "Reading Clean" but also an amazing series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.                                                                                   You can read my reviews here:  Beautiful Creatures  and Beautiful Darkness Go also to Parental Book Reviews for content reviews:   Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness I will be posting something dedicated to The Caster Chronicles every Thursday until the release day o...

Second Hand Saturday! A Book-A-Week Giveaway 2

Welcome to   Second Hand Saturday !! In an attempt to clear our bookshelves, and pass on great used books to our stalkers followers, Amy, Kit, Abigaile, Austin and I have decided to hold weekly giveaways of some of the books on our bookshelves! Every Saturday, we will post the books available, and the following Saturday, we will announce the winner and our next challenge. The winner will get to choose a book from the list and we will ship it to that lucky person! Each week we will have a different challenge to complete (see below). YOU MUST BE A FOLLOWER TO ENTER! If you are a blogger, and would like to do your own Second Hand Saturday, shoot us an email and we'll link up!  (ReadingTeen1 at gmail.com) To see the book on Amazon, click the book name. To see our review (if we've done one) click on PBR for the Parental Book Reviews content review, or RT for the Reading Teen blog review. Good luck!! Middle Grade Middle School Confidential Books 1-3 by Annie Fox ( PB...

Finally, My Thoughts on Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Audio  So, I was going through my old posts, looking for something to post today, and came across this.  I guess I never posted it, because I was just so angry and disappointed.  Plus, I think I had talked so much about it, that I was sick of talking about it.  And also, I feel like there were so many things that bothered me that I couldn't get it all down.  But, I thought it might be fun to post this, and see if anyone is interested in it.  So, here are my bitter and resentful thoughts on Mockingjay! :P 8-30-2010 *spoilers galore* After reading Mockingjay all day on Tuesday, I left Wednesday morning to go on vacation for my anniversary.  All I could think about was Mockingjay.  You might think that's a good sign, like it was so well done that I couldn't forget about it.  But, for me, it wasn't.  I was so disappointed in this book.  Honestly, if I hadn't loved the first two books so much, I pr...