Skip to main content

Something Went Very Wrong Here }} THE ANATOMICAL SHAPE OF A HEART by Jenn Bennett


Review by Valerie

THE ANATOMICAL SHAPE OF A HEART
by Jenn Bennett
Age Range: 12 - 18 years
Hardcover: 304 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (November 3, 2015)
Amazon | Goodreads

Artist Beatrix Adams knows exactly how she's spending the summer before her senior year. Determined to follow in Da Vinci's footsteps, she's ready to tackle the one thing that will give her an advantage in a museum-sponsored scholarship contest: drawing actual cadavers. But when she tries to sneak her way into the hospital's Willed Body program and misses the last metro train home, she meets a boy who turns her summer plans upside down.

Jack is charming, wildly attractive . . . and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists. On midnight buses and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who Jack really is-and tries to uncover what he's hiding that leaves him so wounded. But will these secrets come back to haunt him? Or will the skeletons in Beatrix's own family's closet tear them apart?

Oh no.

Let me tell you a story really quick. My sister and I would buy every single Mary Kate and Ashley movie the day it came out when we were younger. We’d watch it like five times in one day and it was glorious. Winning London came out and we picked it up after my parents got off work, like every other movie, but something was wrong. We hunkered down for utter happiness and… we had accidentally bought the Spanish version.

That’s how this book was for me. I was so excited about it but when I started it, I realized that all the anticipation was for naught. This book, guys. I know that I’m in the minority and that’s cool but this book is not good. *hides*

Bex is an artist who draws medical renderings of the human body, all opened up and gory. Cool, I was all in this. I just attended an event where Meg Wolitzer talked about how reading allows us, as readers, to read through the perspective of people who we are nothing alike. She argued that we shouldn’t try and find ourselves in every single book because then we don’t grow as a person. PREACH. I was so ready to take that and transfer it into this book but I couldn’t.

The main character is nothing like me and she’s involved in something that is so outside of my realm that I was stoked to learn about it. Sweet, let’s do it. Then the trouble starts. Bex is a beautifully complex women who doesn’t realize she’s awesome because she’s lived an average life. BAM. Super sexy Jack enters the picture and wants her. She feels beautiful. He feels sexy. I hate to say it but this, and you can argue it, is instalove. Cringe. And even worse, it wasn’t believable. Jack just decided to pursue her. Like he randomly decided to try Thai food one day. I can understand instantly being attracted to someone but this was just too much. I didn’t buy it for a second.

That’s the problem. I didn’t buy it. Jack is too perfect. Bex is too “shy but secretly awesome and just waiting for the perfect guy to truly see her, ya know”. It’s all a beautiful fairytale but I stopped reading those years ago. I want real. I want progression. I want the chase. I don’t want what this book had to offer.

I did think that the subject matter was incredibly unique and I walked away with knowledge that I didn’t have before reading this book. It teaches a lot about schizophrenia which I enjoyed and I thought it was wonderfully weaved into the story.

I know that a lot of people love it and I’m glad that people do. This particular person just wasn’t a fan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Clean Spotlight: The Caster Chronicles PLUS The Caster Contest

This month's featured spotlight will be...                                         The reason I chose The Caster Chronicles for this month's featured spotlight is because not only are these "Reading Clean" but also an amazing series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.                                                                                   You can read my reviews here:  Beautiful Creatures  and Beautiful Darkness Go also to Parental Book Reviews for content reviews:   Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness I will be posting something dedicated to The Caster Chronicles every Thursday until the release day o...

Second Hand Saturday! A Book-A-Week Giveaway 2

Welcome to   Second Hand Saturday !! In an attempt to clear our bookshelves, and pass on great used books to our stalkers followers, Amy, Kit, Abigaile, Austin and I have decided to hold weekly giveaways of some of the books on our bookshelves! Every Saturday, we will post the books available, and the following Saturday, we will announce the winner and our next challenge. The winner will get to choose a book from the list and we will ship it to that lucky person! Each week we will have a different challenge to complete (see below). YOU MUST BE A FOLLOWER TO ENTER! If you are a blogger, and would like to do your own Second Hand Saturday, shoot us an email and we'll link up!  (ReadingTeen1 at gmail.com) To see the book on Amazon, click the book name. To see our review (if we've done one) click on PBR for the Parental Book Reviews content review, or RT for the Reading Teen blog review. Good luck!! Middle Grade Middle School Confidential Books 1-3 by Annie Fox ( PB...

Finally, My Thoughts on Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Audio  So, I was going through my old posts, looking for something to post today, and came across this.  I guess I never posted it, because I was just so angry and disappointed.  Plus, I think I had talked so much about it, that I was sick of talking about it.  And also, I feel like there were so many things that bothered me that I couldn't get it all down.  But, I thought it might be fun to post this, and see if anyone is interested in it.  So, here are my bitter and resentful thoughts on Mockingjay! :P 8-30-2010 *spoilers galore* After reading Mockingjay all day on Tuesday, I left Wednesday morning to go on vacation for my anniversary.  All I could think about was Mockingjay.  You might think that's a good sign, like it was so well done that I couldn't forget about it.  But, for me, it wasn't.  I was so disappointed in this book.  Honestly, if I hadn't loved the first two books so much, I pr...