Skip to main content

THE WINNER'S CRIME by Marie Rutkoski is EVERYTHING: Book & Audiobook Review

by Andye

THE WINNER'S CRIME
The Winner's Trilogy #2
by Marie Rutkoski
Age Range: 12 - 18 years
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (March 3, 2015)
Audiobook
Narrated By Justine Eyre
Length: 10 hrs
Publisher: Listening Library
Goodreads | Amazon | Audible

Following your heart can be a crime

A royal wedding is what most girls dream about. It means one celebration after another: balls, fireworks, and revelry until dawn. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement: that she agreed to marry the crown prince in exchange for Arin's freedom. But can Kestrel trust Arin? Can she even trust herself? For Kestrel is becoming very good at deception. She's working as a spy in the court. If caught, she'll be exposed as a traitor to her country. Yet she can't help searching for a way to change her ruthless?world . . . and she is close to uncovering a shocking secret?
If you don't know how I feel about this series by now, you don't know me at all.

This series is just something special. The writing is a step above. It's just so rare that all the pieces of a novel come together the way this does.

The story is incredible, detailed, heartbreaking, and so, so smart. The writing is absolutely stunning. I don't know that I've ever read a series that I've wanted to quote as much as this one.

I absolutely love it. I just love it. What else can I say? This book is harsh, and tormenting, but beautiful and hopeful. The relationship between Kestrel and Arin is full of so much tension it's almost unbearable! Kestrel's compulsion to please her father is so frustratingly relatable. I love watching her manipulate the world around her like a chess game. She's so smart!! It's completely refreshing to read a female character that is a intelligent as Kestrel. She's my hero!

If you haven't read this series yet, I just can't beg you enough. READ IT! And after you do, you'll just want to read it again and again.

The audio:

I read this book back in October, so I was absolutely chomping at the bit for the audiobook to come out. I listened to The Winner's Curse and loved it. Then listened to it again for the read-along that we're doing. I started listening to The Winner's Crime a few days ago, and just meant to listen to the first 10 chapters, but once I started I just couldn't stop. The reader, Justine Eyre, takes a bit to get used to because she kind of drags out her words a bit, and made up an accent for the Valorians (since they're a fictional people). But after you get used to it, it's absolutely amazing. I seriously LOVE her narration of these books. It's just SO cool!! This is a series I will listen to over and over again!

READ IT READ IT READ IT!!!


Comments

  1. Yes yes yes. <3 Gorgeous review Andye :D This book is special to me too. SO DAMN GOOD. And evil and heartbreaking, hmph. But ohh. I'm curious about the audiobook :D Planning on buying it someday. <3 Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be reading this one soon, I promise! I adored Winner's Curse and I only expect greatness from Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHE WILL DESTROY YOU!!! But in the best way possible! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Carina! I'm so happy you love it too and YES get the audiobook!! :D

    ARIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks okay though, I'm up for the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Clean Spotlight: The Caster Chronicles PLUS The Caster Contest

This month's featured spotlight will be...                                         The reason I chose The Caster Chronicles for this month's featured spotlight is because not only are these "Reading Clean" but also an amazing series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.                                                                                   You can read my reviews here:  Beautiful Creatures  and Beautiful Darkness Go also to Parental Book Reviews for content reviews:   Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness I will be posting something dedicated to The Caster Chronicles every Thursday until the release day o...

Second Hand Saturday! A Book-A-Week Giveaway 2

Welcome to   Second Hand Saturday !! In an attempt to clear our bookshelves, and pass on great used books to our stalkers followers, Amy, Kit, Abigaile, Austin and I have decided to hold weekly giveaways of some of the books on our bookshelves! Every Saturday, we will post the books available, and the following Saturday, we will announce the winner and our next challenge. The winner will get to choose a book from the list and we will ship it to that lucky person! Each week we will have a different challenge to complete (see below). YOU MUST BE A FOLLOWER TO ENTER! If you are a blogger, and would like to do your own Second Hand Saturday, shoot us an email and we'll link up!  (ReadingTeen1 at gmail.com) To see the book on Amazon, click the book name. To see our review (if we've done one) click on PBR for the Parental Book Reviews content review, or RT for the Reading Teen blog review. Good luck!! Middle Grade Middle School Confidential Books 1-3 by Annie Fox ( PB...

Finally, My Thoughts on Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Audio  So, I was going through my old posts, looking for something to post today, and came across this.  I guess I never posted it, because I was just so angry and disappointed.  Plus, I think I had talked so much about it, that I was sick of talking about it.  And also, I feel like there were so many things that bothered me that I couldn't get it all down.  But, I thought it might be fun to post this, and see if anyone is interested in it.  So, here are my bitter and resentful thoughts on Mockingjay! :P 8-30-2010 *spoilers galore* After reading Mockingjay all day on Tuesday, I left Wednesday morning to go on vacation for my anniversary.  All I could think about was Mockingjay.  You might think that's a good sign, like it was so well done that I couldn't forget about it.  But, for me, it wasn't.  I was so disappointed in this book.  Honestly, if I hadn't loved the first two books so much, I pr...