Review: Lament-The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Steifvater


Lament: The Faerie Queen's DeceptionWELL, WELCOME TO FAERIE WEEK....

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand - one who can see faeries. When a mysterious boy enters her ordinary life, seemingly out of nowhere, Deirdre finds herself infatuated. Trouble is, the enigmatic and conflicted Luke turns out to be a gallowglass - a soulless faerie assassin - and Deirdre is meant to be his next mark. Deirdre has to decide if Luke's feelings toward her are real, or only a way to lure her deeper into the world of faerie.

This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with it's authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie Lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin's Impossible (2008) and Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. - Diana Tixier Herald

I truly enjoyed this book. I would say it was a little slow at first- just because it was the first faerie book I've read.  So, I totally had reservations reading this book.  I thought I was actually going to be able to do a book review blog for teens and NEVER read a vampire or faerie/fey novel. Who am I kidding?

Lament blew all my expectations right out of the water. Having said that though, I will say that there are a few things I would like to remark about. Her best friend James is a funny, loyal and unique character who is way underdeveloped. Certain events would happen and not be explained, which was frustrating. So, while this book is flawed, I am very much looking forward to reading the sequel BALLED. Her descriptions are well-rehearsed and another chance to read her get even better at those rehearsals are a definite-yes! Example, her description of the faeries were AMAZING!  You know you're not messing with some cute-little-winged-dainty-squeaky butterfly.  They actually sound like something you wouldn't want to run into. Scary!

If you like a good romantic, suspenseful and imaginative young adult fantasy, this book is for you!

~Amy

A word to the parents: Personally, I would probably not let my child read this book until he/she was about seventeen (I'm pretty weird though) This book is pretty hot-n-heavy in the snogging department. Also, there are a few topics to discuss as far as female manipulation (sensually), suicide, telekinesis and violence, not to mention the language. For full content information see my full review at Parental Book Reviews.

Comments

  1. Hi! Visiting from MBC. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Andria,

    Just stopping by to thank you so much for visiting me on my SITS day on Friday and for your very kind and supportive comments! :)

    Peace and serenity,
    ~Jo
    'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankruptcy'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from SITS and had to tell you how much I love your blog design - very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from FF!
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)

Popular Posts