The Atlas Paradox (The Atlas Six book 2) by Olivie Blake Review


The Atlas Paradox by Olivie Blake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's going to be interesting to see the reaction to this book.

I listened to The Atlas Paradox on audio (thank you Macmillan Audio for the review copy), and I really enjoy the production of this series. I feel like every narrator they got perfectly encapsulated the character they read for and I do think it adds to the overall feel and atmosphere.

The Book:

I feel like people are either going to be incredibly disappointed because this book doesn't live up to book one, or they're going to be so in love with book one that they're just going to be so happy to be in this world with these characters again that it won't matter.

I strangely fall into both of these categories. In my opinion, TAP definitely suffers from second book syndrome. There was SO MUCH dialog and inner dialog about the characters and what they were thinking about themselves and each other. About what they might be capable of, or not. About what they should be doing, but aren't. There doesn't seem to be much of a plot to this book, and in the end, the story doesn't really progress much from where it begins. At least not enough to warrant an entire book. And there was definitely potential. Libby's story line could have been so fascinating, but all the interesting parts were kind of glanced over, or told to us in retrospect. Nico and Tristan, who had most of the screen time, and admittedly some good banter, seemed like they were asleep the whole book. In fact that's how I would describe all of them. I know it makes sense with the story, but it doesn't make for particularly interesting reading. They talked A LOT about their magic & magical theories, but we didn't really see it play out.

That being said. It's a vibe. Even though I found myself frustrated, I still finished it in two days and I still want to know what is going to happen next. The ending left me with so many questions and with hope that book 3 will be fantastic. I just really hope the doing outweighs the talking next time because there's only so much vibing and soaking in the atmosphere I can do before it starts to change from unique and moody to repetitive and boring.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts