The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy Review


The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy by Megan Bannen
My rating: 3.5 stars

Thanks so much to Macmillan Audio for the review copy.

The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy was such a fun time. I don't usually read a lot of "cozy fantasy" books, but I was in the mood and You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies, so this sounded perfect. I thought the audiobook was great! The narration was duel narration and I enjoyed both of their voices for the characters. Hart (break) and Mercy (less) were such fun characters and they had me equal parts laughing and frustrated with their antics.

I will say that at times the book followed a little too closely to You've Got Mail. There were scenes (especially the cafe) where I knew what was going to happen before it did because it was almost exactly what happened in the movie. I would've preferred a little more originality in those scenes. However the fantasy/magic element really added an extra layer that I enjoyed immensely. And Hart and Mercy's personalities were entirely their own. Oh, and I can't forget Bassareus, the talking bunny mailman.

If you are a fan of cozy fantasy, like The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels, or Howl's Moving Castle, I think you will really love The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts