Spells by Aprilynne Pike Review

Spells
"I can't just storm in and proclaim my intentions. I can't ‘steal' you away. I just have to wait and hope that, someday, you'll ask," Tamani said.
"And if I don't?" Laurel said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Then I guess I'll be waiting forever."

Although Laurel has come to accept her true identity as a faerie, she refuses to turn her back on her human life—and especially her boyfriend, David—to return to the faerie world.

But when she is summoned to Avalon, Laurel's feelings for the charismatic faerie sentry Tamani are undeniable. She is forced to make a choice—a choice that could break her heart.



Ugh!  I hate doing negative reviews!  Sometimes I don't even know if I should write them or not because I just feel so bad for the author.  I've Tweeted with Aprilynn a couple of times, and I think she's such a sweet person, so that makes this even harder.....however......I was really disappointed with this book.  There, I said it.

Even though I thought Wings was a little strange (it just sounds weird that the Faeries are plants and they keep talking about Laurel's blossom), I did actually enjoy it.  So, I was looking forward to this book coming out.  I even went to Borders and bought it on release day...without a coupon (lesson learned).  The beginning was ok.  I was halfway through the book before much time had passed, and I was semi-enjoying it, and waiting for the excitement that was bound to happen at any moment, but I just kept waiting.  Seriously, other than a couple of minor run-ins with the same enemies as in Wings.....nothing happened.  I thought this book was going to be about Laurel and Tamani, but even when Laurel was in Avalon (which wasn't that much) Tamani was barely there.  And when she was home, all she did was work on trying to make potions and lay around with David.  At the end of this book, I felt like all the characters were in exactly the same place that they were in at the end of the first book.  The only difference was that Laurel got some Faerie schooling (and so did we because there was a lot of descriptions of plants and their magical worth), and meets a suspicious character that I'm assuming we'll find out more about in the next book.

All in all, I would say this book was ok, but definitely not worth buying.  If you're bored with nothing else to do, go to the library and read it.  If you have other books you want to read, skip this one and just head straight for book 3 when it comes out.  Shoot me an email and I'll give you a summary :)  I'll still be reading book 3 because I did like Wings and I want to know how it ends, but I think this series would've been better without this book, or at least just adding some of its main points to the other books.  If you want to read some good reviews, go to Goodreads, there are plenty of people who did like it!

Here's a good review from one of our Facebook friends!

Anjalena says:  Laurel spends summer vacation in Avalon learning how to be a Fall Faerie, which means she has to learn how to mix up potions. She grows closer to Tamani, a fairy guard and old friend from before she lost her memory, and now she has to choose between him and her human boyfriend. Laurel's mom is having trouble with the fact that Laurel is a fairy. Trolls are back for revenge. Humans are hunting the trolls down and Laurel fears they may also hunt fairies. Spells is a wonderful book. Loved the parts when Laurel went to Avalon, the fairy world; it's so beautiful and perfect there.



~Andye

Parents need to know:  Spells only had a small amount of "minor" cussing, and some kissing with details.  There was also some sexual talk and a moderate amount of violence.  For more details, go to Spells on Parental Book Reviews.

Comments

  1. "...it just sounds weird that the Faeries are plants and they keep talking about Laurel's blossom..."

    LOL! I think I'll skip this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. caution here you should know, there is nothing wrong with a fearie being a plant, it inpries new creativity to branch out and release new ways of here decision makings, it is a stroy where you can run off almost into the page. my opinion, cleared. sorry to btoher you though.
      from the one and many anonamous

      Delete
  2. Sorry this one did not live up to expectations. Wings was okay for me, so I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caution Flag and Nise, good call! I hate to say bad things about books, because I know the author worked really hard....but....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, you may not remember me but i am anonamous, if you don't, it is no problem, i cna understand that considering i could have a well shared name, but i would like to take the time to appriciate the excellence you have done for my reading requirements, oh that sounds boring doesn't it! ook, what i am really trying to say is thank you, i have new insight to the boooks am about to read and gained a summary which could be useful as at times i don't always understand the story by the blurb.
    I am alos a fan of the website teenreads which is very useful for reviews but the only possible times i can comment is on facebook, which is quite to my advantage which to me in just my opinion a really good way to share ideas and comments, so this is only a sugestion but i would be most happy if you have done a face book page for your own, that way when i am online, i am able to have full conversations which to me is more useful for how I long i go on the internet for, this is only a suggestion, you do not have to take it if you don't want to.
    i apoligise if this comment is too long but this could be one of the reasons why i am asking, i hope you can take the time to understND WHAT I AM EXPLAINING.
    LOVE ANONAMOUS PS YOUR GR8!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry it is anonamous again, i ahve read all 3 books and to me it brings a new sense of inner child from the tooth fairy to other farie stories and have lightned it into a new thing, this is only my opinion, i just really loved reading them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again Anonymous!! We do have a facebook page! You can find it here:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reading-Teen/311799821491

    Or, if you look on the sidebar of the blog, there is a facebook box! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops! sorry, i just wrote a comment in harry potter about that suggestion, i am really sorry, but like i said there, it is reallt hard for me to check on things at the momment, and i am in love with this site, thank you for replying, i just feel so guilty for putting you on the spot like that, i didn't mean to, looking back i sound like a real jerk so i am bringing my sorries in sack fills at every direction, i will try and see the page when i can but i appreciate your paitience, oh and by the way, i am a teen so soz 9again0 if i sound too fancy pansie!
    from the one and many anonamous

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, no worries!

    I still haven't read Halo! I need to, but I just have SO MANY BOOKS in my "to be read" pile, it's hard to get to them all. I have Hades on my shelf too. It looks good.

    Have you read Unearthly by Cynthia Hand? You might like that one too. I really loved it.

    Here's my review if you're interested:
    Unearthly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i am readin gso far starcrossed, about Helen and Lucas (was to be called Paris hint hint trojan war) that part at the end of the chapter gave me such chills up and down my spine, i am a reading addict once i get in the pace pace of it, but the problem is that beacuse i ahve so much work on my plate at the momment, G.C.S.E's and all that stuff that i am limited to how much reading i am capable and my minimum is 20-30 pages so i am able to see where the story is leading me to so i can come back later after the work and catch up with what i know is happening so far. does that make sense? i am sorry if it doesn't, all my thoughts pile up on top of eachother so i write so much gobbledeedook! i hope you are keeping well, wish you that best with your read and i am hoping i can save enough money to get the book winter's kiss that you did a review on, it may take a while for me to get it, if you know what i mean. anyway, enjoying starcrossed, have a great page turning experience!
      from the one and many anonamousxx

      Delete
    2. oh, and thiank you for the review, i ahven't read it yet, but i am hoping to....
      from the one and many anonamousxx

      Delete
    3. It definitely makes sense! I know it can be hard to just find time to read, then if you have to wait too long, you forget what you read before!

      I loved Starcrossed, I hope you love it too! I'm anxious for book 2 in the series!

      Delete
  9. there's a book 2! blimey 0 riley's! i really want to see if that will be the school library when it comes out, i am just loving it.
    i got up to where helen and her actual mother rush off to the delios when they damaged mark's car, that is wehre i got up to so far, but i will read more, so close yet so far on my reading.
    from the one and many anonamous

    ReplyDelete
  10. takign beyond the brightest from, we explore this world for love and evotion,but what is the world where loathing one another had its own pride, and the memory of forever bonding was soon coming to a close.
    this chapter was not made for you.
    this chapter wil not kill you.
    but this day and age, we rise, we conquer and nothing can stop it.
    do you dare to turn the page?...
    (see more on facebook hint hint)
    from the one and many anonamous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)

Popular Posts