Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)





MEGHAN CHASE HAS A SECRET DESTINY— ONE SHE COULD NEVER HAVE IMAGINED…




































































































































































































Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.





























































































































































































When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil that no faery-creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


Meghan is a strong, though sometimes impulsive girl, who will do anything to find her brother and return him safely home. With the help of Robbie/Puck, her feisty and loveably guardian, Ash, the gorgeous prince of a rival Faery Kingdom, and Grimalkin, the sneaky, snarky Faery Cat, Meghan finds herself searching the mysterious Iron Kingdom and facing the most difficult decisions of her life.

When I first started this book, I have to say, I wasn't too impressed. It seemed like the typical girl-who-doesn't-fit-in-at-school template that I have read over and over in YA fiction. After the first couple of chapters, I actually put the book down for awhile and started reading something else. But there were so many good reviews of The Iron King that I decided to pick it back up and see where it lead. I'm really glad that I did.

I think my problem was that I was in the mood for a Faery book, and not a ("Mean Girls") high-school-stinks book. And it was just taking too long for her to get into it! But once she did, I found that this book was different than any Faery book I've ever read. The twist on the typical Faerie Realm, with the introduction of the Iron Kingdom, was so imaginative. It was like taking Alice in Wonderland (Grimalkin/Cheshire Cat), The Never Ending Story (our imaginations create the Nevernever) and Labyrinth (fighting strange characters to find her baby brother) and smashing them into the age of technology. Oh, and of course A Midsummer Night's Dream....with Oberon, Titania, and Puck! The love/hate relationship between Meghan and Ash was intense, and exciting! But my favorite character had to be Grim! I hope he continues to be part of the story in the future!




























































































































































































































































































































































































~Andye





































































































































































































































































































































































































Parents should know:  There is quite a lot of language and violence in this book, as well as some sensuality and sexual innuendo.  For more details, go to The Iron King on Parental Book Reviews.





Comments

  1. Please count me in.

    +1 Facebook Fan
    +1 Twitter follower @mysticconn

    simplystacieblog at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have this!

    I'm a follower and a twitter follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I've been wanted to read this one! Blog + Twitter follower!

    My blog: withsprinklezontop.blogspot.com

    My twitter: @sprinklezontop

    Great contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. What a great comp!

    +1 Facebook Fan
    and +1 Twitter Follower (@sun_doll)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to win a copy! Great review. I have read a lot of positive things about his and would love to read it. Please enter me if this open internationally :)

    +1 Following on twitter @peacelovevegan
    +1 Facebook fan

    Thanks!!
    hanging.by.a.moment_@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, if this is international...

    +1 twitter follower: @FionaChan
    +1 fb follower: Fiona Chan
    +2 blog: http://fionalevesque.blogspot.com/2010/03/readingteen-iron-king.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Review...thanks for participating in the BWB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for participating in the BWB. The first part was very Mean Girls esque... but I enjoyed the adventure part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to read it!

    You know I'm a devout follower... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I agree about this book having strong elements of a lot of other stories/movies, etc. I think that authors being able to rework popular ideas and themes in new ways is very fun. Thanks for participating in Blog with Bite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)

Popular Posts